The benefits of krill oil supplements are well reported. Whilst fish oil supplements are still far more easily reported, e.g. they’re cheaper and easier to find in health care stores and supermarkets, krill oil usage is on the rise. But what about krill oil for dogs?
- What is krill oil?
- Do dogs need krill oil?
- How to choose the right supplement
- #1 VetIQ Maximum Strength Hip & Joint Soft Chews For Dogs
- #2 NaturVet Hemp Seed Oil Krill And Salmon
- #3 Stanvet Vet Krill Capsules
- #4 Krill MAX Fish Oil For Dogs
- #5 Hanzi Pets – Premium Antarctic Krill Oil Soft Chews For Dogs
What is krill oil?
Krill oil is derived from a small crustacean, called krill, which is abundant in the antarctic Southern Ocean. The deep and clean water in this reason means that krill harvested from here is healthy, free of detachable mercury, and is also very abundant, meaning that it’s not likely to run out any time soon.
The downside is that the harvesting process of the oil is a little more difficult than regular fish oil, and that can drive up the price a little. Despite that, the benefits far outweigh the price and the rarity of the products, compared to regular fish oil.
Do dogs need krill oil?
Omega 3 fatty acids are vital for dogs, whether old or young. Supporting cardiovascular health, brain health, and also helping to keep joints mobile and hydrated throughout life is a vital part of a looking after your furry friend. Krill oil supplements are often in the form of a chewable table which you give to your dog, usually within their food, and they take this on a daily basis.
The benefits of krill oil are plentiful, and in addition, krill oil contains a naturally occurring and very powerful antioxidant called Astaxanthin. This can help to boost your dog’s immune system and help protect their cells from free radical damage.
How to choose the right supplement
What you need to think about however is which krill oil supplement to give to your dog. There is no regulation on the supplement world, for both adults and animals, and that means that finding the right supplement can take work and time.
Luckily for you, we’ve found five of the best krill oil supplements for dogs for 2019. By looking at the products we’ve reviewed, you should be able to find a product for your furry friend much quicker and much easier, helping them grab those benefits just as fast!
#1 VetIQ Maximum Strength Hip & Joint Soft Chews For Dogs
For dogs who are perhaps reaching middle age and are finding it difficult to move around quite as freely as they did when they were younger, VetIQ Maximum Strength Hip & Joint Soft Chews For Dogs are a great choice, and one which many users have found to be very successful in the past.
Not the cheapest option, but you can opt for different pack sizes if you want to try them out first. You can go for a 180 chew pack, or you can purchase a larger pack at 360 chews, if you know your dog gets along well with them. One serving is two chews, and these can be given to your dog as they are, if he or she will chew on them there and then, or you can mix them into their food if you want to disguise them a little – some dogs are a little picky with any type of supplement you try and give them!
USA made, these supplements contain 600mg of glucosamine, 210mg of MSM, and 210mg of krill oil, which gives you a three pronged attack on joint issues. Of course, the presence of a good amount of krill also helps with the immune system, thanks to the naturally occurring Astaxanthin (antioxidant) within krill, and the boost to brain function too.
Packs are re-sealable, so no worries about shelf life, and provided they are kept in a cool and dry place, you shouldn’t have any issues. The chews are also grain-free which helps to ensure a healthy diet, and for any dog which has specific dietary requirements.
- Resealable bag for ease of storage
- Can be purchased in different pack sizes, depending on whether your dog gets along well with them or not
- Contains glucosamine, MSM and krill oil, which has naturally occurring Astaxanthin antioxidant benefit too
- Most users state that their dogs showed more bounce and energy after taking these supplements for a short while, and many also stated their dogs were able to get up and down the stairs much more easily too
- Quite an expensive product, and even the 180 chew pack is still quite large if your dog doesn’t necessarily find them useful
- The chews are quite large, and can be difficult to hide in food, especially for slightly smaller dogs
#2 NaturVet Hemp Seed Oil Krill And Salmon
This is a slightly different type of supplement but one which certainly has beneficial effects for your furry friend. This product can be used for both cats and dogs, provided they are in good health, not pregnant, and over the age of 12 weeks.
Containing hemp seed oil, krill oil, and salmon oil, this liquid product is added to your pet’s food and. The dosage depends on the size of the animal, so be sure to check the label carefully, to ensure that you are giving them the right amount per day.
By using this product you are giving your pet a great source of natural antioxidants, but you’re also giving them the joint health benefits of krill oil and salmon oil, with huge boosts in the way of omega 3 fatty acids, as well as omega 6 too.
This product contains both DHA and EPA, so that means cardiovascular function is supported, brain health, and joint health too. In addition, the hemp seed oil helps strengthen the immune system and also prevents against skin problems and respiratory issues.
Most users of this product all stated that they saw a difference in their pet after use, however some said their animals wouldn’t eat their food when the liquid was added to it!
- A relatively cheap way to give your pet a good dose of omega 3 fatty acids every day
- If your dog doesn’t like chewy supplements, this could be a good way to get them to take the supplement, without them being aware
- Suitable for both cats and dogs, which saves money if you have both in the household!
- Protects against several issues, as well as for joint health and also brain function too
- Some users stated their pet wouldn’t eat their food when the liquid was added to it, however this was only a small sample
- It can be difficult to find the correct dosage, as it depends on your animal’s size and specific needs
#3 Stanvet Vet Krill Capsules
This particular krill oil supplement for dogs is a very affordable choice and one which most dogs will easily take on a daily basis. You can choose between two pack sizes, namely 60 or 120 capsules; in that case, opt for the smaller pack at first, until you’re sure that your dog is receiving benefit, and then opt for the larger one for the second month.
The serving size depends upon the size of your animal, and this supplement can also be used for cats too, which is ideal if you have both furry friends in house at the same time! For cats and dogs weighing up to 10kg, the serving is one capsule, every two days. This will be the general dose, however if your dog is larger, over 10kg, then the serving is one capsule per day, for each 10kg.
Stanvet Vet Krill Capsules are ideal for helping your dog with cardiovascular system improvement and risk reduction, helping with joints and inflammatory conditions, and also boosting eye health, renal health, and boosting the condition of their hair, whilst treating any skin conditions too.
- An affordable choice which is available in two pack sizes
- Capsules are small and can easily be added into food without your dog noticing
- Can also be used for cats
- Helps to protect against a range of different conditions, including boosting hair and skin health, as well as eye health and renal function
- Ideal for dogs who need a little joint health protection as they reach middle age or older
- You will need to change the dosage according to your animal’s weight, to ensure you’re given them the right amount, and not too much/too little
#4 Krill MAX Fish Oil For Dogs
This is a very popular choice and one which many pet owners use on a regular basis to give their dog a boost of joint and brain health. This product is a soft chewy supplement which contains 350mg of omega 3 benefit, via krill oil, including naturally occurring Astaxanthin and vitamin E content. All of this adds up to hip care, joint care, and benefits for their skin and hair too. The DHA and EPA content of this supplement is high, at 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA, for brain health too.
Most users who have given these supplements to their dogs all said that they had no problems getting their dog to take it, as the chews were easy to give as they were, or to hide within food. The chews are also flavoured, with chicken and cheese flavour, for extra persuasion to take it!
The price of this product is middle of the road, but the quality means the slightly extra cost compared to lower quality products is more than worth it. The pack size will also last for two months, which adds to the cost effectiveness side of things.
- High quality product with many beneficial reviews
- Contains a large amount of krill oil benefit, with EPA and DHA, as well as naturally occurring Astaxanthin
- Also contains vitamin E content
- Soft chews which are flavoured, to encourage your dog to take them more easily
- There aren’t too many downsides to this product, however some users did mention they didn’t notice a difference until a few weeks after their dog started taking the supplements
#5 Hanzi Pets – Premium Antarctic Krill Oil Soft Chews For Dogs
Our final choice is a very popular option, which many users currently give to their dog on a daily basis. #1 Premium Antarctic Krill Oil Soft Chews by Hanzi Pets is a relatively cost effective choice, and the pack contains 60 soft chews which are in a savoury flavour, to encourage your dog to take them, either as they are, or within their food.
The supplements contain krill oil and naturally occurring Astaxanthin, as well as vitamin E to boost the health of their skin and hair. The product is free of gluten and corn, and doesn’t contain soy or wheat either. Due to the ingredients of the supplement, you are giving your dog a boost of cardiovascular health, eye health, cellular protection, as well as supporting brain function and of course, joint health too.
Vitamin E can also help your dog recover from injury far quicker than otherwise, which is useful if you have a very energetic dog who doesn’t seem to know his or her limitations!
- Many positive reviews from previous users
- A pack of 60 chews which is enough for two months
- Chews are savoury in flavour, to encourage your dog to take them as they are, or when combined with their food
- Contains vitamin E, as well as krill oil and naturally occurring Astaxanthin
- Helps to boost health in general, as well as protecting joints, cardiovascular health, improving eye health, provided cellular protection, and also boosting the condition of hair and skin
- It comes down to whether your dog is very choosy with their food or not, as a few users did mention their dog didn’t like the taste!
These five krill oil supplements for dogs are certainly high quality and choices which many dog owners currently give to their furry friend on a daily basis.
Choosing the best supplement for your dog will ensure you’re giving them the best life for as long as possible, helping to boost joint care, as well as their cardiovascular health and brain function. Many of these supplements also contain other ingredients, such as vitamin E, which helps with skin and hair/coat too.
Writer, Product Tester.
Adele is a budding content writer with a passion for all things health and fitness related. In her time off Adele enjoys reading, travelling and exploring Sydney’s culinary delights.